Potter Heigham Parish Council

 

Potter Heigham is a leading Broads Tourist Centre on the River Thurne in the English county of Norfolk. It is situated on the A149 road, some 20km north-east of Norwich, and within the Broads National Park.

Potter Heigham is famed for its medieval bridge, believed to date from 1385.The bridge is famous for being the most difficult to navigate in the Broads; its opening is so narrow that only small cruisers can pass through it, and then only at low water, usually with the free help of a pilot. A modern road bridge, by-passing Potter Heigham, runs along the line of the old railway track, close by.

The village is part of the Ludham – Potter Heigham National Nature Reserve (NNR). A long-distance footpath, the Weavers Way, passes through the village on its way from Cromer to Great Yarmouth.

Potter Heigham church is dedicated to Saint Nicholas, the patron saint of fishermen and children, and dates from the 1200’s. Inside there are several 14th century wall-paintings, and a hammerbeam roof.

The civil parish of Potter Heigham has an area of 10.38 sq. km. and in the 2001 census had a population of 961 in 425 households. For the purpose of local government, the parish falls within the district of North Norfolk.

The Parish Council is the first tier of Local Government and exists to represent the interests of the parish. In many cases however, the Parish Council,s  role is advisory, the final decision resting with the District Council or County Council.

There are eleven Parish Councillors who are elected every four years. The position is purely voluntary and attracts no payment.

The Parish Council meets on the third Wednesday of every month at 7.30 pm. in the Village Hall

The parish Council is responsible for many things including:
Monitoring and reporting general tidiness of the village.
Expressing views and recommendations on local Planning Applications.
Public Seating/Benches.
Dig Litter Bins.
Reporting Highway issues to Norfolk County Council
Bus Shelters.
Allotments.
Staithe Area Planters.

the old river bridge